TENDER FOR A CONSULTANT TO RECRUIT AN
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND A DEPUTY EXECUTIVE
DIRECTOR FOR THE VOLTA BASIN AUTHORITY
The Volta is a transboundary river, which drains a basin of 400,000 km2 unequally shared by six West African States (Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Togo) that are dependent on exploitation of its natural resources for their development. In order to promote sustainable development of the water resources of the basin, the Ministers responsible for water resources of the riparian countries approved a draft Convention and Statutes for the Volta Basin Authority (VBA) on 16 July 2006 in Lome. On 19 January 2007, the Heads of State and Government of the countries adopted the Convention on the Status of the Volta and Establishment of the VBA. Following this, the Council of Ministers, at its first meeting on 16 November 2007 in Ouagadougou, approved the Statutes and Institutional Framework of VBA. The Convention came into force on 14 August 2004 with its ratification by four (4) out of the six (6) Member States. All the riparian countries have ratified the Convention since 2012. The headquarters of the Volta Basin Authority is in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
The Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Volta Basin Authority has advertised for the selection of a consultant for recruiting an Executive Director and a Deputy Executive Director for the Volta Basin Authority
The objective of this assignment is to examine applications received and assess the candidates to the above stated positions in order to present a Short-List of those qualified for the positions.
The assignment includes among others:
- Collection of applications, hard or digital copies, received by the Chairman of the VBA Council of Ministers, Minister for Energy, Water and Mines (MEEM) of Benin;
- Transparent and pertinent analysis of applications based on stated criteria and qualifications of candidates specified in the advertisement;
- Interviews with applicants;
- Proposal to the VBA Council of Ministers, through its Chairman the Minister for Energy, Water and Mines of Benin, a shortlist of qualified candidates to the position of Executive Director and another to the position of Deputy Executive Director of the VBA in a fully documented report.
The Chairman of the VBA Council of Ministers invites qualified consultants, consultancy firms to submit their technical and financial offers. Interested consultants shall submit credentials on their qualifications and relevant experiences for the requested assignment.
For this assignment, a specialized consultancy firm based in one of the six VBA Member Countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, and Togo) shall be recruited based on the following conditions:
- Professional experience of at least ten (10) years in recruitment of high official staff in the public or semi-public sector;
- Good understanding of international transboundary water resources management trends;
- Good understanding of Francophone and Anglophone education systems in the Member States;
- Familiarity with this type of assignments within the Volta Basin countries in particular and the West African sub-region in general;
- Ability to deal with high ranking authorities of civil service administrations;
- Proficiency in French and English and ability to work in the two languages;
- High collaborative ability and spirit of synthesis.
NB: The fixed budget selection method shall be applied.
The consultant shall submit a technical and a financial offer.
The technical and financial offers (each comprising one (01) original and four (04) copies) shall be submitted in two sealed envelopes and both in turn sealed in one large envelope.
- The envelope shall be marked outside at the top left corner as follows:
"SELECTION OF A CONSULTANCY FIRM TO RECRUIT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE VOLTA BASIN AUTHORITY".
"TO BE OPENED STRICTLY ONLY BY THE BIDDING COMMITTEE".
- In the middle of the envelope: "TO THE CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS OF THE VOLTA BASIN AUTHORITY"
The outer envelope shall contain:
- Envelope 1 - sealed (closed and stamped) and marked: "TECHNICAL OFFER"
- Envelope 2 - sealed (closed and stamped) and marked: "FINANCIAL OFFER".
The offers shall be submitted at the following address:
Ministère de l’Energie, de l’Eau et des Mines
Avenue Jean Paul II
04 BP 1412 Cotonou
Tel. +229 21312906 / 21312924 / 21312938
The deadline for submission of offers is (3 weeks from the date of publication) at 4.30 pm GMT.
NB: The Terms of Reference are available at the Ministry for Energy, Water and Mines of Benin, in the Ministries in charge of Water of the other VBA Member States and on the VBA web site: www.abv-volta.org
The Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Volta Basin Authority
This entry was posted on September 7, 2016